The training will help the ECA to build capacity to support Ethiopian cities to develop policies for:
- Inclusive and participatory urban planning;
- More effective decentralization and local governance and deepening local democracy; and
- Promoting social cohesion, conflict prevention and peaceful solutions.
In addition, the program aims to strengthen training development and facilitation skills by including several train-the-trainer sessions and conducting pilot training for Ethiopian cities. This will enable the staff to better fulfill the task of ECA in facilitating capacity building, networking and learning for the member cities.
This program aims to:
- Enhance human rights with respect to human security and access to basic services, especially for marginalized and discriminated groups living in the cities and in the informal urban settlements;
- Support the institutional and democratic reform process in Ethiopia. It strengthens the capacity of Ethiopian local governments to develop and implement laws, policies and practices of good governance and to work in an inclusive and participatory manner; and
- Contribute to conflict prevention and peaceful solutions involving all stakeholders. The program will help city governments to increase their conflict.
“The current challenges our country is facing demand urban leaders to provide solutions and to develop inclusive policies for vulnerable people, especially those living in informal settlements. The training has helped the association to better support Ethiopian cities to respond to such challenges.” Andualem Tenaw, Director-General of ECA.
A total of 15 trainers pool was done composed of the staff of the Ethiopian Cities Association, the Ministry of Urban and Infrustructure and the Oromia and Amhara regional governments. The
- Training of trainers
Through a three-week online training and in-person workshop in Addis Ababa, participants were provided with the knowledge and skills to design and deliver effective practice-oriented training.
- Development of training programs
Training programs were delivered on: ‘good governance and peacebuilding’ and ‘inclusive urban planning’. Participants were trained to deliver those training programs to member cities.
- Pilot trainings
The program was tested through pilot trainings in three major areas:
- Amhara and
- South Nations, Nationalities and Peoples’ Region